Gender in academia and research: Countering persistent and emerging challenges to equality
Deadline for submission: 25 February 2018
The Trinity Centre for Gender Equality and Leadership, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, with sponsorship from the Irish Government Department of Education and Skills, Higher Education Authority and Irish Research Council, are inviting researchers, professors, administrators, policy-makers, practitioners and students to Dublin, on 20-22 August 2018, to attend the 10th European Conference on Gender Equality in Higher Education.
Since 1998, the European Conferences on Gender Equality in Higher Education have regularly brought together hundreds of gender equality actors from Europe and beyond. The conferences provide an established international forum for discussion and exchange of information and experiences, allowing the sharing of good practices and research results on the changes and challenges related to gender in academia. Nine conferences have been organised since 1998 across Europe, about every two years. The latest one was hosted by French key Higher Education stakeholders, in September 2016 (https://9euconfgender.sciencesconf.org). The European Network on Gender Equality in Higher Education, established after the first conference in Helsinki, continues to contribute to the continuity and organisation of these conferences.
Ireland is hosting this event for the first time. Gender research, including research on women in academia, is well developed in Ireland and has grown considerably over the last ten years. As the funder for Higher Education Institutions in Ireland, the Higher Education Authority produced a Review of Gender Equality in National in Higher Education Institutions in June 2016. In 2017 the Minister for Higher Education established a Task Force to oversee the far-reaching recommendations contained in the review. Irish Higher Education Institutions, as well as associations and companies, are involved in numerous gender equality-related actions, with partners in various European networks. Notably, Ireland is the project coordinator for the H2020 Systemic Action for Gender Equality (SAGE) 2016-19 (http://www.sage-growingequality.eu).
Proposals are sought that address the following themes on gender equality in higher education, research, teaching and learning from institutional, national, European and international perspectives:
- Public policies and legal provisions promoting gender equality
- Higher education reforms and their gender impacts
- Structural change and institutional gender equality plans
- Indicators, measurements and metrics
- Gender balance, diversity, discrimination, intersectionality
- Gendered access to decision-making positions
- Leadership and management in promoting and achieving gender equality
- Internationalisation of academia
- Men and masculinities
- Resistance against gender equality; implicit bias
- Career pathways, and impediments to advancement
- LGBTIQ+ and gender/sexual identities
- Sexual harassment, gender-based violence and sexist behaviour
- Gender implications in research funding
- Gender-based research, teaching and learning, including across disciplines
- Gender research and integration of findings into higher education, including beyond social science and humanities
- Gender equality and anti-discrimination training for teachers, equality professionals and academic and scientific leaders and managers
Instructions to Authors
You’re welcome to submit an abstract! Please note that by submitting an abstract you will be designated the corresponding author for that abstract and all communications regarding the abstract (submission, review, presentation etc.) will be sent to the email address you use to set up your account. There is no restriction on the number of abstracts that can be submitted.
Once you click ‘submit’ your abstract cannot be amended. Abstracts can ONLY be amended while they are in ‘draft’ version but please make sure you send your abstract by clicking “submit” before the deadline of 25th February 2018.
All abstracts will be reviewed by the International Scientific Committee and authors will be notified by 25th March 2018 on acceptance of their submission.
To login to the abstract submission portal please click here:
https://happening.eventsair.com/10th-conference-on-gender-equality-in-higher-education/gehe-abstract-submission or follow the link on the conference website.
Please download the instructions for authors HERE
International Scientific Committee:
- Professor Tomas Brage (Sw)
- Dr. Suzanne De Cheveigné, (Fr)
- Professor Eileen Drew (Ir)
- Professor Jeff Hearn (UK/ Fi)
- Dr. Marina Hughson (Ser)
- Professor Liisa Husu (Fi/Sw)
- Ms. Simona Isler (Ch)
- Professor Lars Jalmert (Sw)
- Professor Ineke Klinge (Ne)
- Dr. Marcela Linkova (Cz)
- Dr. Anke Lipinsky (Ge)
- Professor Barbara Poggio (It)
- Ms. Ana Puy (Sp)
- Dr. Brigitte Ratzer (Au)
- Professor Marieke Van den Brink (Ne)
- Professor Alison Woodward (Be)